Prior to beginning the training below, please make sure that you have applied to volunteer and are approved by our Volunteer Director, thank you!
Contents of this page
Click below to navigate to the part you are looking for
1. Part I—Getting Started
2. Part II—Growing in Cross-Cultural Awareness
3. Part III—The Five Thresholds of Friendship Evangelism
4. Part IV—Studying the Bible Cross-Culturally
5. Leader Training for Programs
• Hiking Club
• Food with Friends
• Getting Launched
6. Additonal Resources
Part I—Getting Started
One of the videos is hosted through an organization called Every International. We have partnered with them in creating a custom course just for you—our volunteers! So, when you get to that portion of the training, there are instruction to help you create a login on their website, and then enroll in our course. The video you will watch is the first one on our customized course.
At the end of Part I—Getting Started there is a simple form. Please fill it out so that we know you have finished reading the documents and watching the videos.
If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to Kim Sollie at firstname.lastname@example.org and she can help answer any of your questions.
2. In the top right corner of the website select the "register" option (unless you already have an Every International account, in which case you can just login).
3. If you selected the register option, proceed through registration process.
4. Once registered, navigate to https://everyinternational.com/courses/the-hospitality-center/, scroll down and select the option under our Volunteer Director's video that says, "Take This Course"
5. Now watch the first video of the course titled, "Changing How You View Missions"
Yet again the video is hosted through an organization called Every International. If you didn't get setup with our customized course in the last part, go ahead and scroll up to video 2 above and follow the instructions there before proceeding to watch the video in this lesson.
At the end of Part II—Growing in Cross Cultural Awareness please fill out the form. Any questions can go to Kim Sollie. Enjoy!
1. First navigate to godtoolsapp.com/en/get-the-app and from there you can click on the apple store or google play store to download the application for your device (if you are on your mobile phone). You can also just search God Tools in your app store, The icon for the app looks like this:
2. After you have downloaded the app, open it up and click on the bottom menu icon called "Tools."
3. Once you're on the "Tools" page look for the tool called Openers. It might be in the tool spotlight at the top, or you can just scroll down through all the tools until you find it.
4. Click on it to open it and then go ahead and navigate through a few topics of your choice, exploring the different questions they have.
5. If you are already engaged in relationship with some students, now might be a good time to note a few questions that you would want to ask your international friend, otherwise you can come back at a later time.
In this section there are three videos related to students from different backgrounds—South Asia (India), China, and Muslims (Middle East). These are the student populations that we are most engaged with at the Hospitality Center. Please watch whichever video is about the cultural background of the students you will be or are engaging with.
This marks the end of Part II—Growing in Cross-Cultural Awareness. Thank you for volunteering with us and training with us. Please fill our the form below to let our Volunteer Director know of your progress.
Six videos this time, and one document below for you to read. Thanks!
Feel free to download this 1-page PDF document outlining the 5 Thresholds for review and remembrance in the future.
The following articles are about Chinese, South Asian (Indian), and Muslim (Middle East) students, please read the one related to the students you are most engaged with, or all three just for the fun of it!
1. Chinese Discipleship Tips
2. South Asian Discipleship Tips
3. Muslim Discipleship Tips
Fill out the form as usual, thanks!
The rest of the resources are to help you and/or your group be ready to begin studying the Bible with your international student friend(s). There are a couple of suggestions of studies that work well in a cross-cultural context. The Hospitality Center staff can provide a couple training sessions on how to use Discovery Bible Study.
1. Discovery Bible Study - https://www.dbsguide.org/
2. Intervarsity Bible Study Series for International Students - https://ism.intervarsity.org/resource/bible-study-series
Books and Print Material
• Friendships with International Students—Crossing Cultures Here and Now
• Connecting with Chinese International Students
• Connecting with Hindu International Students
These are all available from Intervarsity International Student Ministry: https://store.intervarsity.org/